Search hulkinfo

Thursday 20 April 2017

Meet Mag, the "like me" Crooner

       Today we are meeting with an up and coming South African rapper, he's done a lot of tracks since he joined the music scene, now we are going into his would to learn more about this great act.

             Hulk Admin : Tell us Mag, what inspired you to use Mag as your stage name?

            Mag : Well my birth name is Thabo, and growing up in Polokwane almost all Thabos were nick named "Magesh". So Mag is basically short for Magesh

            Hulk Admin : Hmm, interesting, so Mag, what genre of music do you do?

           Mag ‬: I do Hip Hop man.

           Hulk Admin : Who is your favorite African rapper?

            Mag : It depends on a lot of factors, and it changes all the time, but AKA has always been making rounds on my list

             Hulk Admin : Good choice for a rapper, who's your favorite international rapper?

             Mag ‬: Mm I want to say Jadakiss, but since Top 5 Dead or Alive he hasn't put out enough music... So if not him, definitely J Cole

              Hulk Admin : Interesting, which top artist would you like to work with given the opportunity.?

              Mag ‬: Any artist? Shit... Jhene Aiko. I think she's amazing

              Hulk Admin : What is your biggest challenge as an upcoming artist?

              Mag ‬: The biggest challenge is definitely exposure. You can make good music, yes, share with your few friends and their friends and get praised and all that, but if you fail to get exposed to the mainstream, or any other respected platform then that's a fail... And it really destroys you

             Hulk Admin : Hmm, I feel you, so what's your plan to tackle this challenge?

             Mag ‬: It's a work in progress. Fortunately for me, I have studied enough artists to know that this doesn't come easy. So my plan is to just make good music, have a roll out plan, and one day it will reach the right person. And also doing gigs, and working on features with all artists from all over

           Hulk Admin : That's quite a plan, do you currently work for any labels?

            Mag ‬: No.. I currently am under a little movement that me and a few friends put together, New Legends Records. That's our umbrella...

             Hulk Admin : How many are you in this movement?

              Mag ‬: It's 4 of us. Myself(Mag), Kay R, Young Kev and Rocx. These are the dudes I met at varsity

                  Hulk Admin : Which year did went into the music game?

                  Mag ‬: Well I started in 2010, but 2013 was actually the year I took this thing serious. I did a mixtape and one of the songs I did there won an award (LimHop Best Rookie), as voted for by the people. And that's when I thought we might take this music thing somewhere

           Hulk Admin : Hmm, nice, can you name the tracks you've produced since 2010 and the ones you've been featured on?

            Mag ‬: Damn! Let me say it this way, between 2010 and 11, I had 3 songs of my own (She licks me, Everyday and We ill) and 1 feature from another guy called Beekays, back in Mafikeng... Then 2013 I did a 13 track mixtape using international beats, and I featured a couple of artists.... 2014 I dropped an official mixtape called "I Made Me", where I also featured a guy from Nigeria called J Meed. I've done quite a few features with dudes from Mpumalanga, KZN and Polokwane... It's quite a lot man

                    Hulk Admin : That's quite a journey bro, were do you see yourself in the next two years?

                    Mag ‬: Mm, mainstream definitely. I should at least have a song on rotation, a couple videos shot... And that's just an extension of what I have planned this year. Getting a song playlisted on the waves and a video...

            Hulk Admin : That's nice, do you have a video or have you been featured in any music video?

              Mag ‬: No, not yet ... But that's my primary objective this year.

               Hulk Admin : I feel you, do you want to shout out to anyone? Your producer or colleagues?

                Mag ‬: Yes definitely, shout out to New Legends, Baker, Just Couga(producer), Ray and Lebo from Blue Moon Records, and everyone who's been there from day 1 and day 2 lol... but everyone contributing to my growth, thank you

                 Hulk Admin : That's nice, I wish my name was there lol, so what is your advice to all other upcoming artists out there?

                  Mag ‬: Let me quote a line from one of my favorite rappers, Euro. "It takes longer to hunt for food than it takes to eat up". If you understand that, then you're sorted. Lol and oh I forgot to thank your blog... Thank you for the opportunity my guy😎

               Hulk Admin : Thank you too for giving us your time, we will stay in touch.

You can contact Mag for gigs or other things on:
Twitter: @magsa_
IG: @_magsa
FB: Mag SA

No comments:

Post a Comment